This year I've taken on two new projects: a Saturday morning rehearsal big band, and a serious, you'd better practice or you are out, brass band. The big band is strictly sight reading among friends. The other group is friendly but gives public concerts that make the stakes higher. After three weeks of practicing two hours a day I've drawn some conclusions.
1. The tone of the drums has improved.
2. I can play the parts.
3. My confidence is greater.
4. Folks are pleased to see me.
5. My groove has improved because I've been deep listening to Count Basie, and English Brass bands. This has refreshed my understanding of the idioms.
Two challenges remain.
1. Feeling comfortable with horns that drag without sounding like I'm rushing.
2. Keeping up the practice regime with my other responsibilities.
3. Sometimes the toms are too loud in the big band and too soft in the brass bands.
What I'm up to behind the scenes.